Monday, June 16, 2014

What Makes You a Nerd?

Nerd: an intelligent but single-minded person obsessed with a 
nonsocial hobby or pursuit

What makes you a nerd? What hobby do you hide from your face to face friends (or choose to share very carefully with only a few?). What experiences do you choose not to share with others or do you feel your husband or wife looks at with a bit of quiet amusement? 

I have had several obsessions over my lifetime, I will admit that most don't last over long periods but for a while they were all I pursued in my free (and maybe not so free) time. My first obsession that I remember was with the Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew series at my school library. I spent one school year reading every book in both series. I could not stop until I had read every one. 

Later, in my early twenties I became obsessed with sports card trading. This is as close to an addiction that I have ever had. I have a huge cedar chest in the barn with full of memories from those years. They may be worth something some day...

I have had lots of passionate short-term loves. I was totally fascinated with both Sinatra and Harry Connick Jr's music. I spent a couple years acting like a Beastie Boy. I read every Robert Heinlein book I have ever come across, I may have read all of them (and that is quite the accomplishment.) I played Tony Hawk Pro Skater until my thumbs locked up!

Right now I am in a Harry Dresden spiral. I read two books in the series while at Walt Disney World (which is also a bit of an obsession with me.) I suppose that writing on blogs would make me a bit of a nerd too, I have had so many different ones over the years...

Perhaps the 'nerdiest' thing I have done is create a blog about being a nerd. Seriously, who does that? I know many people from online interactions that have hobbies that are at least as nerdy as mine. I am hoping to bring short interviews with them to post on here. Maybe we can connect some of you together who share nerdy hobbies. They should at least be very interesting!

So, what makes you a nerd? Please leave your nerdiest hobby in the comments section below. Don't worry about being judged, we are all nerds here :)

4 comments:

  1. I totally forgot to mention my obsession with comic books as a kid which has morphed into graphic novels now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post is worth it for imagining Jabiz suffer to your ukelele serenade :)

    This is also a very dangerous post, as you're asking us to reveal something that we have gone to great lengths to hide from most of the world. Although I don't think this will cause me any grief in my social circles, I usually don't volunteer to people that I have an addiction to DOTA 2, and regularly spare on Twitter with fictional characters from the Twilight Zone. It's pretty nerdy, nut nothing too damaging :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is only dangerous if we don't support each other. The whole purpose of this blog is to get our nerd on in the open and not have to hide those wonderfully weird hobbies any more. :)

      Delete